Sunday, December 9, 2012

Do-It-Yourself Recycled Bangle


YOLOmonday Link up post with Molly from the "still being Molly" blog



Ok…a true story you might want to sit down to hear. I have actually created a do it yourself idea completely on my own, no aid from pinterest….seriously.

I’ll start here; my current accessory obsession (besides jewelry which will never go away) is scarves. I want one in every, color, size, fabric, etc, etc. I bought this scarf from target a couple months ago and LOVE the pattern and color. (Excuse the mirror picture, there was really no other way to go about it).



Usually when you buy a scarf it comes tied to a little clear ring used to hang it up in the store. As I was hanging my new scarf up in my closet, I grabbed the ring and started to toss it into the garbage. Then, a light bulb came on. I thought, hmm this is like a bangle bracelet. Too bad this is clear and ugly. So, my typically non-creative mind started turning and this is what I came up with. A do it yourself bangle.


So, I’m going to share with you how I turned this scarf ring into a bracelet, just in case you share my love for scarves this season and find yourself with an old, ugly, plastic ring.

Here is what you will need:



-       Scarf Ring
-       A small square of fabric
-       Scissors
-       Hot glue gun
-       Marker

First, I chose a piece of fabric from the quilting clearance aisle at wal-mart for $1.
Next I used a note pad and permanent marker to draw a straight line on the fabric as a guide for cutting (about an inch wide).










Cut the strip of fabric using the line as your guide (strip is about 1 foot long after cutting)



Wrap the fabric strip around the scarf ring very tightly



When you get to the end of the fabric, use a very small, thin line of hot glue to secure the final flap of fabric in place.

After the fabric is glued, use scissors to snip the small strands that have popped up during the process.




Voila!! You have a new bangle with the design of your choice. The best part is, you can cut the fabric off when you get tired of it and start all over again. (OR, you could always buy another scarf and use the ring…that would be my choice J)

So, what do you think??

P.S. Happy Monday!



14 comments:

  1. What a creative re-purposing! And I'm pretty impressed that you came up with this on your own. I always have to have inspiration. Very cute!

    Alison
    www.getyourprettyon.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Alison! Maybe it is an excuse to buy another scarf so I can make another bracelet :)

      Delete
  2. What a GREAT project!! I definitely need to try this.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You should try it! There are so many patterns out there to choose from.

      Delete
  3. Fun idea! Thanks for stopping by my blog!
    Ginny
    mynewfavoriteoutfit.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh WOW! Brilliant!!!!!!!!!! It turned out so cute!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Just found your blog-love the DIY bracelet idea! Brilliant!

    xo Michelle

    Fierce & Fashionable

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Michelle, you should try it. It was super easy to make!

      Delete

Please leave a comment. I love hearing from each and every one of you!